Tuesday 2 September 2014

Labour and Delivery - Part 1

My labour and delivery story starts on Friday June 20th. My mom was over keeping me company for the evening. We had pizza for dinner and as I was eating it, I could feel my stomach was beginning to hurt. I have an ileostomy and I felt like there was a blockage starting (meaning my intestine wasn't working properly and there was no output in my ostomy bag). I sent my mom home around 10 even though she didn't want to leave because she was worried about me. I assured her I would be fine and was planning on taking a bath and getting comfy in bed. By midnight I was in so much pain from the blockage. I called my sister in law to see if she could pick up Joshua (she lives about an hour away) and then called my mom and asked her if she could take me to the hospital. When my mom got to my house, I started throwing up. It was awful.

We arrived at the hospital around 1am on Saturday morning and I spent hours in a small triage room. I was hooked up to monitors to monitor the baby and the contractions and I was given Morphin for my pain from the blockage. My aunt arrived at the hospital around 12:30pm on Saturday and my mom had to track her down because I was listed as an anonymous patient and they wouldn't let anyone in to come see me because of it (my OB thought this was best because we didn't want my ex to even know I was at the hospital). When my aunt first saw me, I was asleep against a garbage pail (my mom and aunt so graciously took photos for me). Since I was still throwing up, the doctors gave me an NG tube. They are miserable. It's a tube that goes in your nose, down your throat, into your stomach and pumps everything out of your stomach to give your intestines a break. It wasn't working so they had to readjust it...it's so uncomfortable!!

At 4pm I was sent down for an x-ray to see what was going on with my intestines. The general surgeon team would have preferred to do a CT scan, but obviously that cannot be done while you are pregnant. The x-ray technician was so nice...she let me see the x-rays afterwards...it was so funny to see a baby inside of me on an x-ray! The x-ray showed that the baby was so big and he was completely squishing my intestines to the point they were flat like a pancake. At 9pm I was finally given a room in the antenatal ward while the doctors tried to figure out what they wanted to do. The general surgeon team wanted to induce me to get the baby out in case I needed surgery for an obstruction and the OB team was saying no because they wanted to avoid a c-section at all costs for me and the baby. During this time I asked to have the NG tube clamped because I thought I didn't need it and I wanted it out...but as soon as I got to my ned room I was tossing my cookies again.

On Sunday June 22, my ostomy started working again around 7am. There was finally a bit of output which was huge!! My OB came in to see me and we decided to have me induced. She added me to the induction list for Monday and I was going to have a foley tube inserted that evening to prepare my cervix. My name was first on the list for induction because of the complications I was having. At 7pm, the foley tube was inserted and I was sent back to triage for an hour so the baby could be monitored.

On Monday June 23, my mom, aunt, uncle, and I watched a few movies and played backgammon to pass the time while we waited for my induction. At 1pm, my nurse asked me if I was able to remove my foley tube and when I tried it just came right out, meaning I was already 2cm dilated and it did its job. At 4:03pm we got the good news that a room was available in labour and delivery and at 5:10pm I was moved to the room I was going to delivery my miracle in.

No comments:

Post a Comment